BFA, Arizona State University, Drawing, Tempe, Arizona 1980
MFA, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Theater, Film & Television, Animation 2003
Professional Appointments/ Employment
2015 – Present: CEO/Founder Giant Monster Private Limited, public art installation, new media, games, animation development & production consultant
2016 – Present: Jules Ventures, consultant on Educational Technology based Computational Thinking learning game and curricula
Jan 2017 – Screening works at Integrated Systems Europe 2017 as part of an international trade exhibition
Jun 2017 – Screening “The Rose” at Web3D Art Gallery: On | Off 100101010 In Queensland University of Technology, 2 George St, Brisbane City QLD 4000
Sept 2016 – Screening three audio reactive short animated films in 8K resolution at Ars Electronica Arts Festival in Linz, Austria, works originally created for Media Art Nexus (MAN)
2015 – 2015: XueBuddy Private Limited, CEO/Founder on Educational Technology based language learning game
2005 – 2015: Assistant Professor in the Digital Animation Department of Nanyang Technological University, School of Art, Design & Media: Relocated to Singapore to establish the first University based Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Southeast Asia, Specializing in computer animation instruction
2002 – 2005: CLONE3D LLC Established CLONE3D LLC
2002 – 2005: Rhythm & Hues Visual Effects for Daredevil, X-Men 2: X-Men United, Cat in the Hat, Elf, Around the World in 80 Days, Scooby Doo II, The Flight of the Phoenix & The Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe.
1995 – 2002: DreamWorks Feature Animation CGI lead modeler for Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, CGI Animator/Modeler for El Dorado, & CGI Animator/Modeler for The Prince of Egypt
1994 – 1995: Acclaim Entertainment CGI supervisor for Alien Trilogy, a PlayStation I game; supervised 3D modeling & animation; utilizing Acclaim’s motion capture & editing system, of all of the creatures within the game.
1991 – 1993: Tokyo Broadcasting System-Vision Technical & art director for television broadcast projects.
1991 – Kroyer Films Assistant animator on the feature film “Fern Gully”
1988 – 1990: Phillips Interactive Character animation for children’s interactive titles
1987 – 1988 Freelance Digital Artist/Animator; created flying logos, rock videos & puppet animation
1986 – 1987: Filmation West Assistant animator for feature films
1980 – 1986: LaserMedia, Laser Animation Supervisor, art director & animator pioneering the technique of laser-animation; 25 projects
- The Sunset Strip Playboy building 1980, animation of a teddy bear
- Hello Kitty, laser animation projected onto a building in Tokyo, Japan
- Sandy Duncan's Peter Pan, laser depiction of Tinkerbell
- Neil Diamond Concert Opening, “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”
- Created demo animation of Michael Jackson dancing
- Earth, Wind & Fire’s world tour 1983 - 1984
- Ozzy Osbourne’s "Ozzy Bat" Concert Tour
Supervised & art directed animation & digitization of graphics for the largest projected animation in the world 50 minutes projected on a huge stone wall of carvings of the Confederate Soldiers at Stone Mountain State Park, Georgia 1983 - 1985. At that time, this work was documented in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s largest projected imagery!
- “The Glory of the South: Charge of the Confederacy” Created animation of the three giant sculptures that are the main feature of the Stone Mountain Carvings riding their horses & charging into glory
- Lead digitizer & animator for a laser animated short sync’d to the music "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"
- Lead digitizer & animator for a laser animated short sync’d to the music "Walk Like An Egyptian”
- “Wendy Dream” directed a laser animated short that projected in laser light onto Stone Mountain, premiered in 1985
- Worked on a laser animated short about barnyard animals
Created & supervised work for the 1984 Summer Olympics projected billboard & entertainment imagery on the Federal Building in Westwood, California
- Graphic animation promoting exercise
- Designed & executed a font for teletype readout in laser light
- Designed & executed commercial graphics of an eagle morphing into an Anheuser-Busch Logo
- Directed an animated short that featured characters stylized in the style of Greek athletes & timed to the song “Chariots of Fire”
- Projected my own laser animated student short entitled Omeyotlwhich also premiered at an LA SIGGRAPH meeting in 1983 at Art Center in Pasadena
Special Venues, Corporate Theatre & Trade Shows
- Designed & animated graphics of a map of the planet earth that was projected onto Space Ship Earth at EPCOT Center, Walt Disney World, Florida – 1985
- Southern Pacific Railroad animated short, created an animated short about the history of the railroad in the United States
- Disco graphics for a city of Houston Gay Bar
- Disco graphics for The Palace Disco in Hollywood, California
- Eagle - Pitney Bowes Metamorphosis recipient of an "Artistic Award from the International Laser Display Association 1989"
- Created Laser animated graphics for a Large Motocross show held in the Coliseum Sport Arena in Los Angeles
- Animated the Playboy logo for film output
- Created animation for the MDEC Video Disc Logo
- Commercials & other Industrial projects for clients
While working as a freelance artist in Los Angeles
- Baby Songs, sculpted puppets for animation for an early version of the Baby Song Franchise
- Commercial graphics for the US Air Force detailing directional thruster jets
- Created animated logos from model to final output (flying logos) for corporate clients
- Animated the main title animation sequence for “Dangerous Curves”
- Worked with Tee Bosustow at the Bosustow Media Group on an animated graphics commercial for late night television
- Designed & animated the UCLA Film Archives title sequence
While working at Tokyo Broadcasting System Vision in Japan
- Created 3D Computer Animation from design to final render for a ride experience “ADACHI”
- Created animated logos from model to final output (flying logos) for corporate clients
- Created character animation from model to final output for a Japanese Game Show
- Designed & animated opening show graphics for a Japanese Televised Awards Show
- Storyboarded, pitched, modeled & animated through final output animation featuring a local anime character playing a guitar (pre-skeleton animation)
Awards in Industry
10 Award Winning Feature Films
2005, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, Oscar nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects, won a BAFTA Film Award for Best Achievement in Special Visual Effects, & numerous other awards
2004, Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, nominated for numerous awards
2004, Elf, won the 2004 ASCAP Film & Television Music Awards it won the Top Box Office Films Award, the 2004 Golden Trailer Awards it won the Best Comedy Award & was nominated for numerous other awards.
2004, X-Men 2, Online Film Critics Society Awards 2004, nominated for the OFCS Award for Best Visual Effects, it was nominated for many other awards.
2004, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, 2004 Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA nominated for the Saturn Award for the Best Animated Film & many other nominations
2003, Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat, nominated for numerous awards.
2003, The Rundown, nominated for numerous awards.
2003, Daredevil, nominated for numerous awards
2003, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, won the 2003 ASCAP Film & Television Music Awards for Top Box Office Films; won the Young Artist Award for Best Family Feature Film in the Animation category, it won a 2004 Genesis Award in the category of Feature Film; at the 2003 Academy Awards was nominated for the Best Animated Feature; it was nominated for an Annie Award for Outstanding Achievement in an Animated Theatrical Feature & was nominated for many other awards in different categories.
2000, The Road to El Dorado, nominated for numerous awards.
1998, The Prince of Egypt, at the 1999 Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards it won the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Animated Film; at the Young Artist Awards it won the Young Artist Award for Best Animated Family Feature, it also won & was nominated for a number of other awards including an Oscar for Best Movie.
1 Award Winning PlayStation I Game
1996, Alien Trilogy, Awarded the PlayStation Game Award by PS Extreme Magazine, I was the artistic lead, level designer & animator on the project.
Screenings at Film Festivals & Competitions
The Adventures of Barty & the Pirate – Short Animated Film
- 7th CMS International Children’s Film Festival
- 10th Athens Animfest
- Glovebox Short Film & Animation Festival
- The World Animation Celebration 20th Annual International Family Film Festival
- Ozark Shorts
- UAT Digital Video Festival
- AniMazing Spotlight Animation Shorts Festival
- 13th Urban Mediamakers Film Festival
- KuanDu International Animation Festival
- San Diego International Children’s Film Festival
- The 10th Annual HollyShorts Film Festival (HSFF) in Stereoscopic 3D
- The 7th Annual Las Vegas Film Festival
- Seoul Guro International Kids' Film Festival
- California International Animation Festival
- Bangalore Shorts Film Festival
- Blue Plum Animation Festival
- Accolade Awards Competition
- Santa Fe Film Festival
[Vengeance+Vengeance] – Short Animated Film
- Machinima Expo
- The Hollywood Film Festival
- The Great Lakes International Film Festival
- Albuquerque Film & Media Experience
- Vegas Indie Film Fest!
- 13th Annual Beverly Hills Film Festival
- Colortape International Film Festival
- Arizona International Film Festival
- Jeridoo Universal Film Festival
- Savannah International Animation Festival
- Boston Science Fiction Film Festival
- Canada International Film Festival
- The Accolade Competition
- Love Unlimited Film Festival
- The California Film Awards
- European Film Festival
- Oaxaca Film-Fest
- Urban Mediamakers Film Festival
- Vegas Cine Fest
- Marbella International Film Festival
- Roseville Animation Festival
International Screenings within an Academic Setting
- 2014, VAFA Visual Art Film Animation conference, “The Adventures of Barty & the Pirate”, 22 May 2014
- 2013, 34th Annual International Association of the Fantastic in the Arts Conference, Orlando, FL (March 2013) presented by Ritch Calvin, Department of Cultural Analysis & Theory, SUNY Stony Brook
- 2012, "Perspectives in Animation", Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education,(Lee Wai Lee) Department of Multimedia & Internet Technology (MIT), ACM SIGGRAPH Local Hong Kong, presenting [Vengeance + Vengeance] (as director), (Mar 2012).
Private Local “Invitation Only” Screenings
- 2013, "Animation Crossings", Film Garde Bugis +, presenting [Vengeance + Vengeance] (as director), (Jan 2013).
International Special Screenings
- 1994, Motion Capture Samples from the Alien Trilogy - Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. Issue 101: SIGGRAPH 94 Electronic Theater (1994).
- 1987, Chavez, M., ACM SIGGRAPH ELECTRONIC THEATER 1987 In Atlanta displayed work executed years earlier in laser light & projected on the side of Stone Mountain Georgia. Part of a 50 minute animated show displayed there to millions of people.
- 2012, Chavez, M., Cinematics & Narratives: movie making in an academic environment. Self-published, ISBN: 978-981-07-2660-7.
- 2009, Chapter Contribution: Jacobson, M. J., Kim, B., Miao, C., Shen, Z. & Chavez, M. Design perspectives for learning in virtual worlds In M. J. Jacobson & P. Reimann (Eds.), Designs for learning environments of the future: International perspectives from the learning sciences. Springer.
- 2014, Chavez, M.J., “Animation in Context: The Outcome of Targeted Transmedia Authorship” Journal of Arts & Imaging Science 1 (4), 28-33
- Chavez, M., Chang, Y. (2013) “Cinematics & Narratives: Movie Authoring & Design Focused Interaction,” Live Visuals, Leonardo Electronic Almanac (LEA).
- Chang, Y. K., Morales-Arroyo, M. A., Chavez, M., & Jimenez-Guzman, J. (2008). Social interaction with a conversational agent: an exploratory study. Journal of Information Technology Research (JITR), 1(3), 14-26.
- CHAVEZ, M., & LIORET, A. (2006). Artificial Beings That Look Back At Us.
- Chavez, M., (1985), UCLA Animation Workshop Journal Animatrix#2, Laser Animation
Sole or as first author
Chavez, Mark J., Mak Hon Keat (2014). Game Design & Appeal: designing for the user. 7th Annual International Conference on Computer Games, Multimedia & Allied Technology, Singapore, 03/2014, DOI: 10.5176/2251-1679_CGAT14.33.
Chavez, M. J., & Kyaw, A. S. (2011). A gesture-based interface & active cinema Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction (pp. 309-310): Springer.
Chavez, M., & Yi, L. L. (2010). Cinematics & Narratives: an exploitation of real-time animation. Paper presented at the Cyberworlds (CW), 2010 International Conference on.
Chavez, M. J., Gregory, A., Yeung, L., & Xueli, W. (2009). Voyage to the Age of the Dinosaurs project, an experiential learning situation with undergraduates, graduates & visiting professionals. Paper presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2009 Educators Program.
Chavez, M. J. (2008). Animation Trends in New Media in Southeast Asia. PISAF-한국만화애니메이션학회 국제학술대회 공진화 (共進化) 하는 만화 애니메이션, 31~ 37 쪽 (총 7 쪽).
Chavez, M. (2006). Artificial Intelligence & Dynamic Design: Adaptive Real Time 3D Characters. Paper presented at the Information Visualization, 2006. IV 2006. Tenth International Conference on.
Chavez, M., & Lan, T. S. (2006). Establishing intelligence in dynamic real time 3D characters. Paper presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2006 Research posters.
Chavez, M. (2005). Avatar teachers: CLONE3D & NTU/SADM. Paper presented at the ACM SIGGRAPH 2005 Educators program.
Chang, Y.-K., Chavez, M., Morales-Arroyo, M. A., & Jiménez, J. (2012). An Active Cinema Experience: A Study on User Expectation & Perceived Gratifications of a Real-time Animated Film System. Paper presented at the Information Technology: New Generations (ITNG), 2012 Ninth International Conference on.
Shen, Z., Miao, C., Zhang, L., Yu, H., & Chavez, M. J. (2010). An emotion aware agent platform for interactive storytelling & gaming. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the International Academic Conference on the Future of Game Design & Technology.
Jacobson, M. J., Kim, B., Miao, C., Shen, Z., & Chavez, M. (2010). Design perspectives for learning in virtual worlds Designs for Learning Environments of the Future (pp. 111-141): Springer.
Jacobson, M. J., Miao, C., Kim, B., Shen, Z., & Chavez, M. (2008). Research into learning in an intelligent agent augmented multi-user virtual environment. Paper presented at the Web Intelligence & Intelligent Agent Technology, 2008. WI-IAT'08. IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on.
Hamilton, E., Baylor, A., Chavez, M., Cole, R., Digiano, C., Hurford, A., . . . Lesh, R. (2007). Assessment of Group & Individual Learning through Intelligent Visualization (AGILeViz). Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2007 conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education: Building Technology Rich Learning Contexts That Work.
2014, International Group Exhibit, “ELECTRON SALON”, Los Angeles Center For Digital Art (LACDA), January 9-February 1, 2014, "Anatomical Study, Composition1: Human Head", 2013, digital print, 104 East Fourth Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013.
2013, The Tenth Annual “SNAP TO GRID: the UN-Juried Exhibit”, Los Angeles Center for Digital Art (LACDA), December 12, 2013-January 4, 2014, "Anatomical Study, Composition1: Gray Scale Study, human Head", 2013, digital print, 104 East Fourth Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013.
2009, Exhibition @ Gallery/Gallery EX KYOTO, Film co-Director, Producer.
2009, The Fifth annual “SNAP TO GRID: the UN-Juried Exhibit,” Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, digital print, "CaN drawing," (Nov – Dec 2009).
2008, DIGITAL FRINGE 08 part of the Melbourne Fringe Festival, entered a digital print from a series titled “Vato: It’s All about ME,” (Sept – Oct 2008).
2007, “Boundaries,” Xposition ‘O’ Contemporary Dance Fiesta 2007, Gallery Theatre, National Museum of Singapore, Animation Producer xposition-o.com/po_rm.html, (Aug 2007).
2005, Chavez, M., The Princess of Planet Delight, Second Beijing International New Media Arts Exhibition & Symposium, China Millennium Museum, Beijing, China, selected to display work in a gallery setting, (June – July 2005).
2004, Arroyo Arts Collective 11th Annual Discovery Tour, interactive installation of virtual conversational 3D character, (Nov 2004).
AWARDS BASED ON RESEARCH
Awards Received At International Film Festivals & Competitions
The Great Lakes International Film Festival
- Best In Genre - Animation Award
VIFF! Vegas Indie Film Fest!
- Bronze Bulb Award
13th Annual Beverly Hills Film Festival
- Animation Award
Colortape International Film Festival
- Nominated for Best Animation Award & Best Direction Award
AHOF's Savannah International Animation Festival
- Best Game Animation Award
Canada International Film Festival
- Royal Reel Award
The Accolade Competition
- Award of Merit
Love Unlimited Film Festival
- Best of Fest Visual Effects
The California Film Awards
- Best Animated Short Award
Urban Mediamakers Film Festival
- Third Prize
Vegas Cine Fest
- Honorary Mention
Marbella International Film Festival
- Best Animation Award
Research Paper Award
2010, CGAT -Computer Games & Allied Technology 2010 Best Research Paper Award, Cinematics & Narratives: Development of a Prototype System, Chavez, M., Liu, L., (Apr 2010).
2008, Special Recognition Award Yellow Ribbon Celebrating Second Chances Awards 2008, in recognition of work done with inmates in the Singapore prison system as part of “Creating Socially Relevant Content in the Digital Animation Form” in the Singapore Prison System (Sept 2008).
Awards Received As Student
1987, The Card Walker Award for animation: For overall accomplishment in the area of animation & computer generated imagery
1985, The Student Academy Awards: honorable mention for & animated short entitled Omeyotl; the work was done in photographed laser light
As Primary Investigator
2012 – 2017, MDA/IDM/2012/8/8-80 Vol-01 “Multi-plAtform Game Innovation Centre (MAGIC)” 10mil SGD awarded to a team of researchers from the Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD), Games Solution Centre (GSC), & Nanyang Technological University (NTU). My research subtopic “Game Design for Entertainment: a content development think tank” is awarded 460k, role: PI, (Nov 2012 – Nov 2017)
2008 – 2011, NRF2008IDM-IDM004-003 1.7mil SGD, National Research Foundation/ Media Development Authority, role: PI, “Cinematics & Narratives: creating stories within real-time visual toolsets” resulted in the award winning short film [Vengeance+ Vengeance] (Nov 2008 – Nov 2011)
2006 – 2012, SUG/NTU 90k Grant 2006 Project Period – “Don’t Do That, Do This” Exploring Real-Time Authoring Toolsets & Addressing Socially Relevant Issues with the Medium of Digital Animation, Primary Investigator, 90k Singapore dollars. Singapore Prison System at Kaki Bukit Prison School in collaboration with & Coordinated with Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE)
2006 – 2008, RCC2/ADM 5k Grant 2006 Project Period – “Creating Socially Relevant Content in the Digital Animation Form,” Preliminary research leading to SUG
1988, The Symbolics Corporation 1988 – received a grant in the form of a high-end Symbolics system to execute advanced computer generated imagery for Master’s Thesis work.
As co-Primary Investigator
31/12/2012-31-12/2013 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: 'Unframed Part 2", M4080760.B40, PI Ina Conradi, Co-Pi Mark Chavez
15/8/2011-14/8/2012 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: 'Unframed Part 2" , M4080760.B40, PI Ina Conradi, Co-Pi Mark Chavez
2009 – 2011, Tier1 grant #200604393R Academic Research Fund (AcRF) – Exploring kineto-audio-visual parameter mapping in virtual instrument performance & interactive installation, Singapore S$50,000. (Mar 2009 – Feb 2011)
2008 – 2011, NRF2007IDM-IDM003-068 – Serious Immersion & Embodied Learning: Traces of Dinosaurs in Earth System Science (Co-PI) Immersive Virtual Environments, NRF/MOE grant approved, S$1.3 million. (Dec 2008 – Nov 2011)
2007 – 2010, NRF2008IDM-IDM001-030 – Intelligent Agent-Augmented Multi-User Virtual Environments: Research into Designs for Learning Environments of the Future, NRF/MOE grant approved, S$1.69 million. (Dec 2007 – Nov 2010)
2015, Keynote address, Chavez, M., 8th Annual International Conference on Computer Games Multimedia & Allied Technologies (CGAT 2015), “Designing for Animated Interactive Learning Experiences”, (April 2015)
2015, Chavez, M., The Art of 3D stereo Media, “A Proposed Design Structure for Interactive Learning Experiences”, (April 2015)
2014, Chavez, M., PISAF Puchon International Student Animation Festival, “Game Design & Appeal Commercialization” (Oct 2014)
2014, Chavez, M., Visual Art Film Animation VAFA 2014 Conference, “Game Design for Entertainment: A Content Development Think Tank” (May 2014)
2012, Chavez, M., Science & Art: Third International Forum on the Innovations in Digital Media, Focus: Serious Games & Educational Digital Media, Sponsored by Beijing University of Technology, "Cinematics & Narratives: movie making in an academic research environment," (Nov 2012)
2011, Chavez, M., Capital City Arts Initiative lecture series on contemporary art practice, Nevada Neighbors XXXV: Emerging Animation (Sept 2011)
2011, Keynote address, Chavez, M., “Future Cinema” Defense Science Research Conference 2011 – Symposium on Serious Gaming, (August 2011)
2010, Invited presentation: Chavez, M., “The Future of Cinema & 3D Stereoscopy: Challenges Facing Film-Makers,” 11th Jeonju International Film Festival (JIFF) in Jeonju, South Korea, (May 2010).
2010, Chavez, M., “Creative Imagination & Cultural Technology,” International Symposium in Seoul, South Korea," Specialization & Collaboration: Approach to Interdisciplinary Research in Contemporary Animation," (Feb 2010).
2010, Chavez, M., “From Passive to Active: Adaptive Design & Future Visions with Real-time Simulation in Animation” University of Technology Sydney: SIAF Symposium 2010 'Aesthetics & Timing in Animation' (Sept 2010).
2010, Chavez, M., "Cinematics & Narratives: Prototype1.2", Breinbjerg, Morten. "Poesis of Software Use." ISEA2010 RUHR 16th International Symposium On Electronic Art.
2010, Chavez, Mark, & Liu Lin Yi. "Cinematics & Narratives: an exploitation of real-time animation." Cyberworlds (CW), 2010 International Conference on. IEEE, 2010.
2009, Chavez, M., Computer Games, Multimedia & Allied Technology 09 Conference, Workshop titled “Advances in Games Technology” presenting “Cinematics & Narratives – Immersive encounters in Co-Space”.
2008, Chavez, M., PISAF Puchon International Student Animation Festival, “The Expansion of Animation in the New Media Environment”
2008, Chavez, M., Teaching Cinematic Literacy in the Singapore Prison System, Presented an paper at the Machinima China Festival May 2008, Organized by AKQA, Association of Machinima Arts & Sciences (AMAS) & The Comics Art Association of Wuhan (CAA), Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China.
2007, Keynote address: Chavez, M., International Teaching Philosophies Panel at The Broadcast Education Association, (Apr 2007)
2004, ACM SIGGRAPH, Displayed research of work that encompassed the creation a piece, “CLONE3D Artificial Comedy & Real Time 3D Characters” 3DX Demo or Die, state of the art in real-time graphics (Aug 2004)
2004, ACM SIGGRAPH Los Angeles Local Chapter meeting at Otis School of Art & Design, Showed research done on web-based real time 3d characters
1983, Chavez, M., ACM SIGGRAPH Los Angeles Local Chapter Meeting 1983 at the California Institute of Technology, Showed an animated short executed & projected in laser light.
2013, SIGGRAPH Asia Art Gallery Chair, coordinating a small team of international jurors, curators & artists for the SIGGRAPH Asia 2013 Art Gallery during November of 2013 in Hong Kong, PRC
2008, SIGGRAPH Asia Educators Programme Chair, The first ACM SIGGRAPH Conference & Exhibition on Computer Graphics & Interactive Techniques in Asia
2014, Chavez, M., Society for Animation Studies Annual Conference 2014 “The Animator”, “The Challenges of Design in Transmedia Authorship”
2013, Chavez, M., Jayabalan, S., Sarvaiya, S., Mak H.K., CGAT 2013 Workshop: Advances in Games Technology, “An Investigation in Appeal in Talking Characters”
2011, Chavez, M., ISEA2011 Istanbul the 16th International Symposium on Electronic Art, Paper: Active Cinema.
2011, Chavez, M., The Rise of the Creative Economy, The 23nd Society for Animation Studies Annual Conference, Cultural Center of the University of Indianapolis, Athens Campus, Panelist: “Animation Studies – Pedagogy & new frontiers”.
2011, Chavez, M., Popular/American Culture Associations – SWTX PCA/ACA 2011 Joint Conference “Experiments with an Animation System Designed to Dynamically Manipulate Emotion”.
2010, Chavez, M., Liu, L., Animation Evolution, The 22nd Society for Animation Studies Annual Conference, Edinburgh College of Art, 9-11th July 2010, "From Active to Proactive: New Opportunities for Real-time Simulation in Animation"
2009, Chavez, M., Gregory, A., Voyage to the Age of the Dinosaurs: An Experiential Learning Situation with Undergraduates, Graduates, & Visiting Professionals. Presentation, SIGGRAPH Asia 2009 Educators Program Yokohama, Japan.
2009, Chavez, M., Conradi, I., Liu, L., Cinematics & Narratives: Creating an Archetypal Character Based Experience. ISEA2009 – 15th International Symposium on Electronic Art.
2008, Chavez, M., Animation Unlimited, The 2008 Society for Animation Studies Conference, Art Institute at Bournemouth, "Philosophies & Methodologies in Animation Research".
2007, Chavez, M., ACM SIGGRAPH Singapore Chapter Jakarta, Indonesia Tour, Accompanied a group of businesspersons & students interested in computer graphic & animation through studios in Jakarta, presented research “Creating Socially Relevant Content in the Digitally Animated Form”.
2006, Chavez, M., "Artificial Intelligence & Dynamic Design: Adaptive Real Time 3D Characters," Information Visualization, 2006. IV 2006. Tenth International Conference on, vol., no., pp.804,810, 5-7 July 2006, doi: 10.1109/IV.2006.24
2006, Chavez, M., “Interactive Media & Real-Time 3D Characters,” Institute for High Performance Computing in Singapore.
Chavez, M. & Aung, S.K., “A Gesture-based Interface to Active Cinema,” ACII 2011, 4th International Conference on Affective Computing & Intelligent Interaction, conference. (Oct 2011)
Chavez, M., & Tan S., Intelligence in Dynamic 3D Characters, ACM SIGGRAPH 2006 Research posters SIGGRAPH. (2006)
2013, Chandock, Ishpreet, AnimationXpress.com Exclusive: Vengeance + Vengeance wins Best Animation Award at the 13th Annual Beverly Hills Film Festival.
2012, UCLA Feature Stories & News - Alumnus Wins Best Animation Award at The Marbella Film Festival in Spain, Announcement.
2012, Chandock, Ishpreet “[Vengeance+Vengeance] wins the Best Animation Film Award at the Marbella International Film Festival 2013 – In Repartee with Mark Chavez” Animation Express.
2012, Hallett, Nicole, Euro Weekly News, “Talent on the silver screen: Seventh Marbella Film Festival, close with a glitzy bang”.
2010, Chavez, M., "From the Animation Industry to Academia & Research" Computer Graphics (CG) Quarterly, Volume 44, Number 1, ACM SIGGRAPH Publication, Visual Research, Evaluation & Assessment in the Age of Computer Graphics.
Professional Memberships/ Affiliations
2013 – 2005, ASIFA-International Animated Film Association
2013 – 2005, ACM SIGGRAPH
2013 – 1985, The Animation Guild